February 27, 2013

Blogger Spotlight : Meera Navlakha

One of my favourite bloggers in the world is Meera Navlakha, founder of Singaporean style blog Moments with Meera. I'm really happy that I got to interview her as the part of the first ever  Blogger Spotlight which would appear monthly from this month onwards on Confessions of a Style Cookie. Meera's blog has been a great source of inspiration for me since I spotted her blog late last year on Seventeen magazine. 
moments with meera | style blog
Ever since I laid my eyes on her compelling posts, I knew that she had an exquisite talent for writing and every one of her posts clearly reflects her passion and her maturity and taste usually seen in people twice her age. I always look forward to the latest post in her blog and she is also the first blogger across the globe whom I corresponded with through email. 
She is a sincerely nice and easygoing person and I'm really thankful to be able to get to know her better through this interview. I hope to meet Meera in person maybe at a fashion event one day but for now, reading her blog would have to do. At just 15, she has been featured on both Elle and Seventeen and many fashion blogs including Zipped , Seven inch stilettos and even on MSN Lifestyle : Audi Fashion Festival Best DressedFor this month's Blogger Spotlight post, Meera gives us a look at her dreams, inspirations and style.
1.Why did you name your blog Moments with Meera? The name came naturally to me, and since I was just in sixth grade I went for the alliteration in the title immediately. However, the thought process behind Moments with Meera is focused on the ever-changing flow and movement of the fashion world. There are hundreds of moments in the industry that come with every season, and my blog serves as a kind of record for all those little moments that are significant throughout the years.
2. Why did you create Moments with Meera? I created my blog because I was looking for a platform to share my love for fashion on. I was always intrigued and inspired by the fashion industry, and writing has been a great part of my life since I was younger. I combined my love for both fashion and writing in Moments with Meera. 
3. What inspired you to become a fashion journalist when you grow up? Journalists like Suzy Menkes and Robin Givhan showed the world that fashion is worth writing about in renowned publications. Reading their incredible work in newspapers and online inspired my interest and goal in becoming a fashion journalist.
 
4. How would you describe your sense of style? My sense of style is feminine and soft, but with an edge. I like bold colors, like tangerine and emerald, but at the same time, I love a dash of lace, prints, and delicate accessories. 
5. What are you favourite things (labels,brands etc) in fashion? Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenburg, and Alexander McQueen are my favorite designers. I absolutely adore high street stores such as Topshop, H&M, Zara, and Abercrombie and Fitch.  
6. Who inspires you in the fashion industry? Editors like Anna dello Russo, Anna Wintour, and Grace Coddington always inspire me. 
7.What is your biggest achievement in 2012 and your biggest goal for 2013? I think one of my biggest achievements was my feature in Seventeen Singapore, which truly impacted my life in the best of ways. The magazine feature is something I will never forget, and always cherish.
8. What are your hobbies? Besides fashion blogging, I love reading and writing. Running has recently become something I love, too. 
9.What is the craziest thing you have done in the name of fashion? I don't think I have done anything too crazy in particular, but some of my shopping experiences in New York City have gone overboard. Otherwise, I am yet to do something incredibly crazy in the name of fashion!
10. How is NYC like and what are your top 3 favourite fashion/shopping capitals of the world?
New York is, and always will be, my home. It is the most amazing city I have ever been to – it is always alive with activity, beauty, art, and excitement. My other favorite shopping capitals, besides NYC, are London, Paris, and naturally, Singapore. Shopping in Singapore is a different experience altogether, but it is a great place to shop nonetheless.
With her sister and Sir Paul Smith!
11. If you had a chance to collaborate with someone in the fashion industry, who would it be and what would you create?For my dream collaboration, I would combine two of my favorite things: Marc Jacobs accessories, and iPhone cases. Marc Jacobs, as I have mentioned before, is one of my favorite designers. If I could collaborate with anyone, I would work with the designer to create customized iPhone cases. My iPhone is something I never leave the house without, and it is always adorned with a gorgeous case.
12. If you had a fully-paid trip to any fashion week in the world, which one would it be and which show would you attend? I would attend New York Fashion Week for sure, because designers in NYC always deliver beautifully effortless, edgy clothing. Prabal Gurung is one of the designers whose clothes I always covet, and it would be a dream come true to attend his show.
13. What advice do you have for fellow aspiring fashion journalists and style bloggers? Be original in your posts, and produce content that reflects your own personal style. Don't compare yourself too much to other bloggers; make your blog unique!

- C
If you wish to be featured on my blog, email me here

3 comments:

  1. This is a great interview! I have been following Meera's blog for quite a while as well and love it!

    I just found your blog and am really glad I did! I just followed you and hope you can check out mine!

    xo Nicole from The Green Raybans
    http://thegreenraybans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meera absolutely looks good in that CaraMabes Mesh High Low Dress (Blue)!
    Try checking out other pretty dresses at http://CaraMabes.com too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the lovely interview! Your kind words mean so much to me :)

    xoxo, meera | www.momentswithmeera.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers :) And P.S. I do read your comments ♥